Everyone at one time or another has experienced some degree of boredom. Children are usually the quickest to say “I’m bored,” but as adults, we experience our share, too.
Don’t you sometimes wonder why you feel bored? It may be a feeling of laziness, exhaustion, or even a lack of mental stimulation.
Whatever the case may be, we all want to keep our mind and body at its peak. We also want to be an active player in our own lives. When we’re feeling bored, neither of these needs is being met.
However, with a bit of creativity, there’s no reason why you ever need to experience boredom!
Here are some simple suggestions to help you conquer boredom and liven things up:
1. Read. This sounds rather obvious, doesn’t it? Well, it is! But it’s often the simplest ideas that are the most powerful.
• Reading is a wonderful activity for the mind that can transport you into another time, place or situation. With so many genres to choose from, reading can be most interesting and even intoxicating.
• If you’ve never been an avid reader, it’s possible that you simply haven’t found the right book. Experiment until you find the one that gets you hooked. You can also explore audio books and podcasts to keep your mind busy.
2. Sing. You may not sound like Whitney Houston, but don’t let that stop you from enjoying music. Play some of your favorite tunes and sing at the top of your lungs!
• Music provides fun, relieves stress, and can help you forget that the word “bored” was ever in your vocabulary!
3. Cook. Get in the kitchen and try some new recipes. Remember, this isn’t about perfection. It doesn’t make a difference if you’re a four star chef or can’t cook worth a dime. This is about keeping the boredom at bay, while being an active player in your life.
• Try a new recipe each week to add some interest to your dinner menus.
4. Adopt a pet. Animals are wonderful companions. They’re loving, non-judgmental, and provide us with unconditional love. Animals also keep us feeling active and young. Most importantly, though, they keep us busy.
• If you have a pet as a constant companion, you’ll never feel alone and you’ll make many wonderful memories together.
5. Cultivate your mind. Boredom is something we allow and hold control over. By actively using our mind, boredom won’t be a concern again. Try expanding and cultivating your mind by taking a day trip to a museum, going to an art exhibit, or seeing a play.
• Do something you’ve never done before. Find an activity that brings you new knowledge and skills. You may even discover some new talents you didn’t know you had when you take the initiative to try new things.
6. Take advantage of the Internet. The Internet is a pantheon of information, and can be a great “boredom terminator,” but there’s also a lot of mindless drivel. If you decide to spend time online to combat your boredom, use that time wisely.
• Each time you use the computer, attempt to walk away knowing something new. It’ll not only keep you busy, but you’ll expand your mind as well.
No one enjoys being bored, but thankfully there are countless ways to overcome boredom and get our mind and body active again. Use these tips to get you started, and enjoy a myriad of wonderful benefits in the process.