Keeping a sense of humor in difficult situations may sound ridiculous but, it is an effective way to cope with stress and improve overall well-being. After all, laughter is still the best medicine.
How laughter affects your body and reduces stress?
• Laughter helps reduce hypertension and lowers blood pressure.
• Laughter helps stressed people as well as those with respiratory ailments as it releases stale air from the lungs and body tissues.
• It increases blood circulation.
• It triggers the release of endorphins (also known as happy chemicals), giving you that happy and better feeling.
• It reduces neuroendocrine hormones (stress hormones) related to stress response, such as dopac, cortisol, growth hormones and epinephrine.
• Laughter is an alternative to physical activities as it is a good cardiac conditional, helpful for people who cannot perform physical exercises.
How to preserve your sense of humor?
Be with fun people. Laughter is contagious so even if you are not in the mood to laugh, being with a group of funny and bubbly people can suck that negative energy off you and replace it with happy thoughts.
Start your day with a smile. Your body reacts according to your emotion, whether you like it or not. So whenever you’re happy, your body reacts by releasing endorphins (happy chemicals) which fuel your emotion and make you feel better. When you put a smile on your face, laughter easily follows and stress level drops significantly.
Watch funny show. Comedy sitcoms and sketches that are able to find humor to events that in real life prove to be annoying or even tragic are an effective way to relieve stress. This is the reason “Everybody Loves Raymond,” “Friends,” and “The Office” are popular.
Laughter Yoga. You have probably heard this before – a group of people laughing like crazy over no reason. Taking in part in a laughter yoga class can relieve stress and at the same time, is an effective way to bring back the giggles into your day.
Read funny emails. Forwarded emails that may appear gibberish at first can be effective stress relievers. If you ignore emails that you find useless before, check it again and you’ll be surprised how helpful they are in relieve short-term stress.
Take a breather. When you feel that you are like in the middle of a storm and everything seems difficult and overwhelming, pause. Try to look at yourself from an eye of an observer and recognize what’s funny.