Sleep is important to the physical and emotional health of a person. It refreshes the body, recharges the brain and relaxes the muscles. Without enough sleep, you easily get agitated, annoyed, frustrated, and irritated over little things. What’s ironic is the same symptoms that are assigned to stress affect the sleeping pattern of a person which results in more stress.
If you find it hard to sleep at night because of stress, here are things you can do:
1. Clean up. Your sleeping environment has a large effect on the quality of sleep a person is getting. The more clutter there is in the room, the more your mind stays active, and the harder it is to get to sleep.
2. Try light exercises. About the number 1, light exercises can be sweeping the floor, washing the dishes, and other light chores that release tension without activating the body. Yoga, meditation or walking can also help relieve stress.
3. Listen to soft music. Music relaxes and soothes the mind. Studies show that music has a therapeutic effect that allows the body to sleep.
4. Massage. Massage has been proven to be a great stress reliever as it loosens tension in your body, relaxes you, and helps sleep come more easily. If you can’t trade massage with another person, try self-massage techniques or use massaging tools.
5. Sex. Sex is an effective way to relieve tension because it triggers the release of endorphins or “happy chemicals” that improve well-being, which welcomes sleep. For those in a committed relationship, sex can be the best way to get a good nights sleep.
6. Bubble bath. Most people find soaking in a tub of bubbles relaxing as it rinses away tension and promotes a clean feeling. Try this before going to bed.
7. Try light games and avoid television. Playing light games such as Sudoku and puzzles provide a good distraction from a stressful day and a good alternative as they are less stimulating than television shows, action movies and late-night news.
8. Journaling. Writing in a journal before going to bed releases your tension, helps solve problems, processes emotion, and helps bring clear thought. Therefore, journaling is a great way to end the day.
People respond differently to a certain activity so some of the given techniques may be effective for some but not for you. Be patient and look for one or two techniques that work for you.