How many times have you heard yourself say â€œI am stressed out!â€? If you are anything like the friends and family that I know, then probably many times a week if not in a day. Completely eradicating stress from your like is impossible. But there is no need to feel as though you will burst at any moment because the weight of the world is on your shoulders. One must learn how to manage stress rather than ignore or handle it in a destructive manner. If we donâ€™t deal with our daily stress it affects many areas in our life.
Unmanaged stress is known to raise blood pressure and cause heartburn. More serious ailments include increased potential of heat disease, cancer and depression. Itâ€™s amazing what having too much on your plate can do! For many of us, altering our schedules or canceling appointments are not options. However that is no excuse to let your stress levels go uncontrolled.
If you are finding yourself unnecessarily irritable or more tired than usual, that is your bodyâ€™s way of sending you a signal to alter your activities. The following tips will help you better manage your stress and increase your daily productivity.
1. You must get sleep! It has been proven time and time again that everyone must make time for at least 7 hours of sleep each night. Trying to get extra hours on the weekend does not work. If the body is deprived of sleep there is no way to make up that time. Sleep deprivation not only leaves you unable to manage stress as well as you would otherwise, you are vulnerable to many other health problems. Research has proven that lack of sleep leads to increased weight gain, memory loss, high blood pressure and increased susceptibility to type-2 diabetes. The list of health problems alone should be enough to encourage one to get their beauty sleep!
2. Meditate Daily. For those of you unfamiliar with mediation, it need not be intimidating or â€œout there.â€ Meditation is simply the practice of relaxation. There are different forms of meditation and many guide books available that may be helpful for the new comer. In a nutshell, meditation allows the body to relax through mindful concentration. Allow your mind to focus on peace and calm for about 20 minutes each morning and evening. This will allow your body to relax for a concentrated period of time and the act of the body relaxing allows it to â€œde-stress.â€
3. Limit Caffeine. Along with caffeine, feel free to keep your sugar intake to a minimum as well. That shakiness and racing heartbeat is not a good thing. Once again the body is sending you a warning signal that something is amiss. Caffeine and foods high in sugar put the body in a constant state of high energy. This is part of the attraction, no? But the effects on the body are not positive. Synthetic â€œhighsâ€ have repercussions and one of them is leaving your body depleted of its natural energy sources. The caffeine and sugar high lead ultimately to low energy and decreased ability to handle stress.
4. Fruits and Vegetables are your friends. Keeping your body fueled with the nutrients it needs to function at its best, will do nothing but reward you. Fruits and vegetables are naturally filled with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that not only fuel the body, but help it to function with stress. When we get busy, it can be difficult to take the time to make a well-balanced meal, but that is when our body needs it the most. The busier our lives become the more we need to nourish it. So eat your green veggies and make mom proud!
5. Donâ€™t take life so seriously. Allow yourself to laugh. This is one of the simplest things that you can do to calm yourself down and relieve stress. Itâ€™s easy to takes things too seriously when we are stressed, so take the time to analyze a situation before letting it get to you.
Obviously, there are other ways to reduce your stress than the above list. But by having a few ideas to start with never hurt anyone. The quicker you implement stress-reducing activities into your life, the sooner you will notice beneficial results. Not only will your life lengthen, it will be more enjoyable. Take care of yourself and your body will thank you.