We can’t avoid the headlines and magazine covers sporting photographs of the rich and famous are flaunted at supermarket checkouts. Celebrities seem to live glamorous, fairy tale lives.
Have you ever felt just a little bit jealous? Have you thought “I want what they’ve got”? Do you feel that you too deserve the fairy tale?
Let’s face it, we can dream our lives away, and it won’t make any difference. It is time for a dose of reality. Do you really want constant scrutiny in the media? Do you want every heart ache and every extra pound to be international news? Few people really would.
Perhaps you would be content to be a cut above the rest of the pack. In other words, successful enough to enjoy some glamour without becoming such a celebrity that your life becomes public property.
So, what do you have to do to become a cut above the rest? The following is a one week program designed to change your life. If you simply focus on one step every day you will experience a gradual transformation of your life.
1. Discover your life purpose. There is no point desiring to be an actor when your talent is in something else. It is important to become aware of your gifts and then find a purpose that makes use of them and fits well with your beliefs and values. Once you identify your purpose in life, you will have a compass that can guide you to true happiness. If you are hoping for prosperity and happiness but are wandering aimlessly through life, you may well be disappointed.
2. What are your values? It is important to know your own values because if your goals are not congruent with what you truly believe, you will find it difficult to succeed. Start by making a list of the five most important values you possess. Then compare your goals to this list. If they don’t agree, you may need to change your goals.
3. Address your needs. Shakespeare said “To thine own self be true.” To live authentically, you need to live with integrity. A part of this requires that you acknowledge your own needs and do what you can to meet them. When we have unmet needs, we can live unhappy, stressed lives. Some of your needs may not actually be good and rather than meet them, you may have to deal with them. For example, if you have the need to control others, that is a need best overcome. However, before you can deal with your needs you have to know what they are. List four needs that are most important to you. If you don’t do what you can to meet your needs, you can end up living a depressed and stressed life.
4. Discover your passions. Invest some time in finding out what makes your heart sing. In other words, what are you passionate about? Become enthusiastic about life. Let yourself be inspired.
5. Develop a strong inner life. Modern life is so busy that sometimes it is hard to find quiet time. However, this is essential if you want transform your life from the inside out. By regularly spending time in meditation or relaxing in nature, you will become more connected with your own spirit. Deep breathing can be very calming and help you release stress. Sometimes, you can get the same effect by sitting in a room with low lighting and enjoying classical music.
6. Acknowledge your strengths. Do you know what your strengths are? If you don’t, ask someone close to you. List three of your positive characteristics and be willing to share this list with friends. By simply acknowledging your strengths to yourself and others, you will grow in self confidence.
7. Be a giver. Contribute to the world. We are all connected to one another and when we help others we are, in turn, lifted up ourselves.
This is a simple seven day plan to improve your life. By simply working through these seven points, you can gain a winning edge. You simply have to desire to become a better person and be willing to see yourself through the eyes of other people.